At the end of the First World War there were already 500 Rotary clubs across the world; by 1921 that number had risen to 1000 around the globe. In Europe, too, the first clubs were set up, such as in Madrid and Paris for example. At the Rotary headquarters in Chicago there was an increasing desire to found a club in German-speaking Europe, which finally happened in 1924 in Zurich. The Paris club was instrumental in the club's foundation and became its sponsor. In 1925 further clubs followed in Basel, Bern, Geneva, Lucerne and St. Gallen. The first club in the Principality of Liechtenstein was established in 1957.
Today Rotary has more than 13250 members in Switzerland and Liechtenstein across more than 220 different clubs.
Each district is led by a district governor. During his one-year term of office, he is also a member of the Council of Governors of Switzerland/Liechtenstein